Thursday, February 2, 2012

first impressions

I was lucky enough to be invited to Connecticut for the Fourth of July and for the big engagement party this year! I was so excited for the chance to see NYC and Boston and he ADORABLE town of Newtown, however.. I was borderline terrified to meet the soon-to-be in-laws. Not only was i meeting his parents, but every one of his four siblings and their kids and every one he's ever known at our party.

I got into JFK at about 1 or 2 in the morning and Thomas and his brother-in-law drove me the hour to Connecticut. When i got in bed I insisted that Thomas come get me when he woke up so that I wouldnt have to go down to meet all of his sisters alone. I awoke the next morning, not to Thomas' sweet kiss but the pretty little face of Brooklyn, Eryns three year old daughter. So I was wide awake and could hear the mumblings of his three sisters downstairs, Thomas wasn't answering his phone as usual, and I began to feel awkward for sleeping in so late. So I braved meeting his sisters all by my lonesome. It was nice and casual small talk and they were very nice. But still, in my head, I felt like I was in a job interview... I was only hoping I would be an "acceptable" addition to the Hutchison clan. 


When Thomas finally emerged he brought me upstairs to grab some of his staple black socks in the room where his sister Brittany and her baby were staying. I hadnt seen him in a couple months so its understandable that we got a little "fresh" in the middle of the room. I MAY have had my hand up the back of his shirt and he May have had his hand lightly resting on my bum. After we got his socks we walked back down to the kitchen where his sisters were grouped around the island with the baby monitor right in the middle of them with the screen off. I remembered seeing it on earlier that morning and i also remembered that it was a video baby monitor. Oh shoot, oh shoot, oh shoot, i thought, they definitely saw!! But when i brought it up to Thomas he was adamant that there was no way they could have seen. I was uneasy all day though. That night the ENTIRE family was standing around the kitchen making small talk. They transitioned so smoothly into baby monitors that i didn't pick up on the subtle clues and sexual innuendos until it was too late and the entire family was laughing hysterically. Thomas ran out one door and abandoned me, essentially leaving me to deal with my miserable shame all on my own. Yep. First impressions. 

1 comment: